Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"I wish I wouldn't have worked out today" ...

Have you ever heard someone say, "I wish I didn't go to the gym today"?  Or, "I wish I wouldn't have worked out today"?  If you have, I am confident it is very rare.  In reality, most people feel great when they work out and ask themselves why don't they go more often?  If this is the case, then why do so many people struggle with the motivation?  Why do so many people seem to find every excuse in the world, to not make it to the gym?  Why do people put food, chores, bills, work, cleaning, organizing, emailing, shopping, eating, and so many more responsibilities in front of their health? The truth ... exercise is hard work!  However, does it have to be?

I think it is a misconceived notion that if you don't have an hour to go to the gym, then why go at all?  All movement counts, all activities add up, and anything you can do to move or not partake in a sedentary lifestyle, the better!!

How to motivate?
  • I often tell my clients to think about how they feel after a workout.  This can sometimes get you in the door.
  • Create a great play list! Good jams will fuel a great workout!
  • Find a workout buddy!  The cardio machines are much more fun with someone to chat with.  Plus, you won't skip if your pal is waiting for you!
  • Think of all of the benefits!  Supports a healthy heart, relieves stress, builds cardiovascular endurance, builds confidence, improves sleep, and so much more! 


What if I don't have a gym?
  • Park at the end of the parking lot
  • Take the stairs
  • Carry your basket at the store instead of pushing a cart
  • Try to stand during conference calls
  • Do 20 min quick at home workouts
  • Get outside - walk around the neighborhood, walk the kids to school, bike to the store!
At the end of the day, if you have time to email, watch tv, eat, cook, clean, work, study, read, etc. you have the time to take care of your body!  NO EXCUSES!

No comments:

Post a Comment