Monday, April 2, 2012

Chicken and Vegetable Pho

I've always enjoyed Asian food; however, some of my former favorites - sesame chicken or eggrolls - are no longer conducive to my health goals ... not to mention they are full of gluten.  Since I've changed my nutritional habits, I've learned to enjoy other asian foods, including, but not limited to spring rolls, asian salads, coconut rice, curry, and most recently, PHO! 

As most of you know, I would much rather cook at home, then dine out.  Most of you also know that I am not good with recipes and I am usually more successful putting things together and figuring them out as I go.  Sometimes it works out - sometimes it's a bust!  This was ... delicious!

I began by boiling Annie's brown rice noodles in water and then set aside.



Meanwhile I brought one box of Organic Chicken Broth and one box of Vegetable Pho starter to boil.

                                     
I added 2 chicken breasts (raw and sliced thin) to the broth.  I also chopped 1/2 of a yellow onion, 2 tablespoons of ginger, and 1 leek, and added it to the broth.  I brought everything to a boil and then let the pot simmer until the chicken was cooked.  Once the chicken was cooked, I added in 1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash. You could use a variety of vegetables - kale, bok choy, broccoli, snap peas, etc.

In a serving bowl, I put in the brown rice noodles, poured the soup mixture over the noodles, and then topped with fresh cut cilantro, basil, and bean sprouts.  YUM!  Add a little sirracha for an extra kick!

                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment